Tactical Shooters Group
The TSG is made up of enthusiasts of "tactical" rifles [AR-15, AK-47- FAL, etc.] in a forum suited to their deployment and use. Our practice sessions tend to be more dynamic than more traditional disciplines and more formal than casual plinking, while maintaining safety and having fun. Our members share a wide range of skill level and experience, from former and current military / law enforcement to regular civilians. If you have an AR, AK or any "tactical" type rifle and want to have some fun, hone your skills, or are just curious, please join us.
Currently, we do not have official events lined up, but they are in the works for the upcoming year. We are planning to have a carbine class as well as a carbine match this year; contact info is below so you can get put on the internal TSG email list.
We try to have an informal practice session on Sunday afternoons, depending on the time of year, range use and the weather. Sessions usually occur on the AP&T range.
There are a few minimum requirements that should get you through 98% of what we do. At a minimum you should have [in addition to the requisite safety gear]:
- Safe and serviceable primary weapon system [semi-auto carbine/rifle] in at least an “intermediate” rifle caliber or higher [i.e., 5.56x45mm/.223, 7.62x39mm, 5.45x39mm, 7.62x51mm/.308, etc.]
- Sling for your primary weapon system [tactical-type single point or two point sling, mounted properly]
- Proper holster for secondary weapon [preferably one that allows for one-handed re-holstering]
- Spare magazines for primary and secondary weapons [2 for carbine and 2 for pistol is okay; 3/3 is better, 5+/5+ is even better]
- Range bag or case to transport weapons, ammo + gear
- Weapon lube
- 1 target stand, cardboard backer, Sharpie marker
The following would be helpful to have, but not required:
- Spare magazine carriers [for both primary + secondary weapons]
- Shooting-specific gloves
- Knee/elbow pads
- Field repair kit of some sort for your primary weapon system
If you are interested or have specific questions, please contact: Ron, TSG Interim Chair at email@example.com.